Wednesday 2 April 2014

Presentation

          
A few days ago, just for fun, I asked my two and half year old son what family is. My son told me that family is dad, mom and me. He used three simple words to describe what family is and they touched me deeply.
One day a few months ago, my husband and I had a serious conversation about family. I was wondering whether I should stay in Canada. I doubted that this was the life what I really wanted: doing the household chores day after day, with only a husband and child in my life, and no other social contact, just consumption but no income.
Actually, I am really a feminist. I don’t like to just stay at home as the caretaker. I want to go outside to be a modern woman with modern sensibilities. I used to have a full-time job when I was living in China, and I really enjoyed the feeling of working not just making money. But now I have become a housewife. I don’t want the rest of my life to be like this. So I discussed this issue with my husband. I expected him to give me some suggestions. Fortunately, I have a democratic husband with a good temper. When I shared my thoughts with him,  he respected me very well. He told me that the reason why he applied for me and our son to immigrate to Canada to live with him was in order to advance our life. If immigrating here was truly bad for me, he would rather choose to keep a long distance relationship and let me be totally free to do what I would like to do. He said I could bring our son back to China or choose to live with him in Canada. He promised to stand by me as long as he could.  He did not want me sacrificing for the family while he got all the benefits.
After our conversation, I felt that he really understood me. I had to consider this seriously. But I still had no idea what was the best option for our family until I heard my son tell me about what family is. He gave me the answer. He aroused a voice from the deeply part of my heart.
So, what is family? Family is a kind of strength that makes every family member focus on the same goal in life, even though there are different kinds of difficulties waiting for us down the road. Understanding each other, fixing problems together and running the family together are most important.
Therefore, the concept of family for me now is one word “together”. I will stay with my family, and  meanwhile, I can start my new career here because my family is the motivation that drives me to and never give up.              





 [I2]

No comments:

Post a Comment